| Organisation Description
||Satellite Observing Systems (SOS) offers unrivalled expertise in all aspects of satellite remote sensing of the marine environment. The company serves public and private sector organisations by providing:
Some of the problem areas recently tackled by SOS, including ongoing programmes, are:
- Consultancy on the applications and exploitation of marine remote sensing (see Projects),
- High quality marine statistics and climatology (see WAVSAT),
- Real-time sea-state monitoring from space delivered to ships at sea (see WWWaves),
Training programmes world-wide (see Publications).
- Calibration of radar altimeters on the ERS-1, ERS-2 and ENVISAT satellites,
- Statistical data on the occurrence of the highest wave at an offshore site or along a shipping route anywhere in the world,
- The prevalence of oil slicks in summer off a tourist beach in the mediterranean,
- Seasonal cycles in the vertical migration of nutrients along a coastline, and their dependence on marine weather patterns,
- A model of sea level changes around Britain's coastline over the last decade,
- The design of an easy-access coastal information system containing data derived from the satellite record,
- Accessibility of environmental information of coastal zones by NATO navies,
- Trends in global climate change revealed in the middle of the Atlantic by satellite observations repeated over a decade.